About Your Teeth How should I handle a chipped or fractured tooth? - About Your Teeth

Q & A's

How should I handle a chipped or fractured tooth?


There are different types of tooth fractures. Chipped teeth are considered minor tooth fractures. Moderate fractures include damage to the enamel, tissue, and/or tooth pulp. Severe fractures usually mean that a tooth has been traumatized to the point that it cannot be recovered.

If you fracture a tooth, rinse your mouth with warm water and use an ice pack or cold compress to reduce swelling. Take Ibuprofen or Nurofen, not aspirin, for pain. Your dentist can smooth out minor fractures.

If you wear dentures and a denture tooth breaks or chips, wear your spare dentures until you can visit your dentist. If you do not have a spare set or cannot get to the dentist’s office soon, use cyanoacrylate (heavy-duty, quick-drying “super” glue) to glue the tooth or the piece of the tooth back into place. Remember—this is only a temporary measure until your dentist can properly repair your tooth and should only be used for dentures! Never attempt to glue a natural tooth or part of a natural tooth back into place!

Print Friendly